Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Take Hold of the Moment

When does learning becomes more meaningful?

It is when something happened, curiosity arises  and when a solution is needed (often in a desperate and forced situation, do you agree?). Take hold of the moment where the best impact can be given.

I made use of this Olympic season to teach facts and current issues.
I did this when everyone and media was raving about Rio 2016: - The BeST time when the topic was still sizzling hot!
From this topic (Olympic) alone, I get to cover Malaysian athletes/ heroes of Malaysia/ iconic people of Malaysia and sports. All of these are actually in the English syllabus. I got to cover more topics in one go. It saves time and acted as an enrichment for the pupils plus extra knowledge.

The pupils were given one month to complete the folio (till the end of Olympic).

Steps:
1. Introduction to Summer and Winter Olympics as well as Paralympic (videos).
2. Simple discussion about Rio 2016.
3. Teacher explains the project to the pupils.
4. Pupils finish up the folio in 1 month's time.
5. Appreciation.
6. Displaying the folios in the school library as references.

This is surely another worthy project for my kids. They were happy to learn many new things WHILE doing this project. Even I myself learnt some new things when I read through their folios (I just found out the meaning of the design of the torch! Gagaga!)

Another thing which they were happy about was that they got to spend some time with their parents because they did the folio together.

Oh, one more...they got to watch TV! (because of project they said. Hahaha)

Their folios displayed in the library




Let's watch what's inside the folio~


No comments:

Post a Comment